- Wednesday, May 25, 22:30 Mousonturm Saal
- Gonin サーガ
- Japan 2016, DCP, 132 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & Script: Takashi ISHII
- Production: Kadokawa, Pony Canyon, Dentsu, Femme Fatale, Sony PCL
- Camera: Yasushi SASAKIBARA, Yoshiaki YAMAMOTO
- World sales: Kadokawa
- Cast: Masahiro HIGASHIDE, Kenta KIRITANI, Anna TSUCHIYA, Tasuku EMOTO, Masanobu ANDO
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
GONIN is one of the major classics of 1990s Japanese gangster cinema. In this modern sequel, journalists attempt to clarify the messy fallout from the original movie, and two sons of the original GONIN protagonists become entangled in a violent and psychotic nightmare. Tense, melodramatic, funny, and above all, hard- boiled, GONIN SAGA is one of the freshest films you’ll see this year.
Takashi ISHII, born in Sendai in 1946, is a Japanese director, writer, and manga artist. He studied at Waseda University. Following a number of pink films and independent features, he gained international recognition in the mid1990s with his yakuza noir GONIN. He continues to work in both the pink film and noir genres.
1992 Original Sin (Shinde mo ii); 1995 Gonin; 1996 Gonin 2; 2010 A Night in Nude: Salvation (Nudo no yoru: Ai wa oshiminaku ubau / NC ’11); 2013 Sweet Whip (Amai muchi); 2013 Hello, My Dolly Girlfriend (Figyua na anata)