- Tuesday, May 24, 19:45 Naxoshalle Kino
- Japan / USA 2015, Blu-ray, 145 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & camera: Kazuhiro SODA
- Production: Laboratory X
- World sales: Pascale Ramonda
- German premiere with an introduction by Dimitri Ianni
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Oyster farming in the Japanese Inland Sea is a tough business – and shucking oysters all day long in one of the factories in the small harbor town of Ushimado has become a job often done by seasonal workers from China. As a careful documentarist of human interaction, Kazuhiro SODA draws a fascinating picture of contemporary Japan that goes beyond the accustomed images of glamour and high-tech.
Kazuhiro SODA was born in Tochigi Prefecture in 1970. He studied at Tokyo University and at the School of Visual Arts in New York, where he currently lives. His documentary film CAMPAIGN (2007) was shown at Berlinale and many other festivals. His following documentaries were also successful on the international festival circuit.
2007 Campaign; 2008 Mental (NC ’09); 2010 Peace; 2012 Theatre 1 & 2; 2013 Campaign 2