The Case of Hana & Alice
- Thursday, May 26, 12:00 Mousonturm Saal
- Friday, May 27, 22:30 Mal Seh'n Kino
Hana to Alice satsujin jiken
- Japan 2015, DCP, 100 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 6 or older
- Director, script & music: Shunji IWAI
- Production: Rockwell Eyes Inc., STEVE N’ STEVEN
- World sales: NTV
- Voice cast: Yu AOI, Anne SUZUKI, Shoko AIDA, Sei HIRAIZUMI, Ryo KATSUJI
14-year-old Alice fails to make any friends at her new school. Instead, she plans to solve the mystery surrounding the disappearance of a fellow student. She soon receives some unexpected help from Hana, the weird girl next door. In his animation debut, Shunji IWAI tells the prequel story to his smash hit HANA & ALICE and once again proves himself to be a master of coming-of-age stories.
Shunji IWAI, born in 1963, graduated from Yokohama National University. After directing several TV dramas and music videos, his feature debut LOVE LETTER (1995) became a box office hit and received many awards. The teen drama ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU-CHOU (2001) later brought him international fame. Apart from writing and directing his films, IWAI often composes his own scores as well.
1995 Love Letter; 1996 Picnic (NC ’00); 1996 Swallowtail Butterfly; 1997 April Story (Shigatsu monoga- tari); 2001 All About Lily Chou-Chou (Lily Chou-Chou no subete / NC ’02); 2004 Hana & Alice; 2011 Vampire
- Supporting film: L’OEIL DU CYCLONE
- by Masanobu Hiraoka, Japan / France 2015, 5 min, no dialog