Under the Cherry Tree
- Thursday, May 26, 12:30 Naxoshalle Kino
Sakura no ki no shita
- Japan 2015, Blu-ray, 92 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Kei TANAKA
- Production: Daifuku, JyaJya Films
- Camera: Kei TANAKA, Yamato MAEDA
- World sales: JyaJya Films
- German premiere in the presence of the director
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
A public housing complex (“danchi”) is at the center of the feature documentary debut by director Kei TANAKA. In the Japanese town of Kawasaki, elderly residents who have lived hard lives are now facing retirement in the inhospitable building. Their issues and problems bring the demographic issue of the aging population of Japan to the fore.
Born in Shizuoka Prefecture in 1987, Kei TANAKA is a graduate of the Japan Institute of the Moving Image. UNDER THE CHERRY TREE, her feature-length documentary debut, was invited to the Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival 2015.