Katabui – In the Heart of Okinawa
- Sunday, May 29, 14:45 Naxoshalle Kino
- Japan / Switzerland 2015, Blu-ray, 80 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & Script: Daniel López
- Production: Thelma Film, Kukuru Vision
- Camera: Gosuke TSUCHIDA, Carlo Varini, Isamu OSADA
- World sales: Outside The Box
- World premiere in the presence of director Daniel López, producer Takako MIYAHIRA and associate producer Hitoshi DOI
- Competition Nippon Visions Jury Award and Nippon Visions Audience Award
Despite the conflicts posed by the stationing of U.S. military bases in Okinawa, the inhabitants of the island fight and strive for the survival of their singular indigenous identity. In his very personal documentary film, Swiss director Daniel López delivers an analysis of the difficult political situation and presents the fascinating culture of Okinawa in all its facets.
Born in Switzerland in 1970, Daniel López moved to Okinawa in 2003 after traveling around the world. In 2010, he earned a master’s degree from the University of Arts of Okinawa. Since then he has worked as a photographer, publisher and TV presenter. In 2012, he also produced a series of web documentaries. KATABUI is his feature-length documentary debut.