- Friday, May 27, 14:15 Mousonturm Saal
- Japan 2016, DCP, 132 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director: Hitoshi YAZAKI
- Script: Chiai TAKEDA, Masa ASANISHI based on a novel by Mariko KOIKE
- Production: Mubanso Production Committee
- Camera: Isao ISHII
- World sales: King Records
- Cast: Riko NARUMI, Sosuke IKEMATSU, Takumi SAITO, Nina ENDO, Wakana MATSUMOTO
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
In the late 1960s, schoolgirl Kyoko experiences a time of political protest. Along with her friends, she joins some of the university demonstrations. At a baroque cafe she meets Wataru, a student she soon falls in love with. But their relationship is clouded by a dark secret in Wataru’s life. Convincing acting performances combine with the historical setting to create a multilayered coming-of-age drama.
Hitoshi YAZAKI was born in Yamanashi Prefecture. After studying film at Nihon University, his second featurelength film AFTERNOON BREEZES (1980) was already successful in the festival circuit. He then had his international breakthrough with the unconventional love story MARCH COMES IN LIKE A LION (1990).
1977 Fuyu no hikari; 1980 Afternoon Breezes (Kazetachi no gogo); 1990 March Comes in Like a Lion (Sangatsu no lion); 2006 Strawberry Shortcakes (NC ’07); 2009 Sweet Little Lies (NC ’11); 2014 The Place Where the Sun Sits (Taiyo no suwaru basho); 2015 xxx – Kiss Kiss Kiss