Love & Peace
- Wednesday, May 25, 19:45 Mal Seh'n Kino
- Saturday, May 28, 19:45 Mousonturm Saal
- Japan 2015, DCP, 117 min, Japanese with English subtitles, FSK12
- Director & Script: Sion SONO
- Production: Gansis, King Records
- Camera: Shinya KIMURA
- World sales: King Records, Asmik Ace
- Cast: Hiroki HASEGAWA, Kumiko ASO, Kiyohiko SHIBUKAWA
- German premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
What do Santa Claus, turtles, kaiju monsters, Jpoppunk and toys coming to life have in common? Why, they're all a part of the cocktail that makes Sion SONO’s latest genre bender so irresistible. Ryoichi is a sad loser, forever fantasizing of becoming a pop star and wooing the girl of his dreams – until a turtle named Pikadon shows up to help him make his wishes come true.
Sion SONO, born in Aichi Prefecture in 1961, began his artistic career as a poet. After experimenting with 8mm film during his studies at Hosei University, he won 1987 the Grand Prize at PIA Film Festival for his film A MAN’S HANAMICHI. His international rise to fame came with LOVE EXPOSURE (2008). Since then he has won numerous awards. NIPPON CONNECTION dedicated a retrospective to his work in 2011.
1990 Bicycle Sighs (Jitensha toiki / NC ’11); 1998 Dankon: The Man (NC ’11); 2002 Suicide Club (Jisatsu circle); 2008 Love Exposure (Ai no mukidashi / NC ’09); 2012 The Land of Hope (Kibo no kuni / NC ’13); 2013 Why Don’t You Play in Hell (Jigoku de naze warui / NC ’14); 2014 Tokyo Tribe
- Supporting film: CUUSHE "AIRY ME" (only Saturday, May 28)
- by Yoko KUNO, Japan 2013, 6 min., no dialog