- Friday, May 27, 19:30 Mousonturm Saal
- Saturday, May 28, 14:00 Mal Seh'n Kino
- 百日紅〜Miss HOKUSAI〜
Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai
- Japan 2015, DCP, 90 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director: Keiichi HARA
- Script: Miho MARUO based on a manga by Hinako SUGIURA
- Production: Production I.G
- German distributor: AV Visionen
- Voice cast: Anne, Yutaka MATSUSHIGE, Gaku HAMADA, Kengo KORA, Jun MIHO
Edo, today known as Tokyo, in 1814: The artist Hokusai tirelessly works in his atelier to cover the demand for his famous paintings. However, few people are aware that some of these pieces of art are in fact the work of his daughter Oei. The visually stunning MISS HOKUSAI recounts episodes in the life of a young woman who was overshadowed by her world-famous father all of her life. Director Keiichi HARA mixes several genres, like coming of age and family drama, to tell the story of a free-spirited female artist.
Born in Tatebayashi (Gunma Prefecture) in 1959, Keiichi HARA graduated from the Tokyo Designer Gakuin College before working on animated television shows such as DORAEMON and CRAYON SHIN-CHAN. His breakthrough came in 2007 with SUMMER DAYS WITH COO. In 2010 Hara directed COLORFUL, which won multiple awards.
2000 Crayon Shin-chan: Arashi o yobu jungle!; 2007 Summer Days with Coo (Kappa no ku to natsu yasumi); 2010 Colorful (NC ’11); 2013 Dawn of a Filmmaker: The Keisuke Kinoshita Story (Hajimari no michi)
Presented by Kazé
- Supporting film: PIGTAILS (only Friday, May 27)
- by Yoshimi ITAZU, Japan 2015, 28 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- World sales: Production I.G
Based on the Osamu Tezuka Cultural Prize-winning comic book by Machiko KYO, this bittersweet animated film tells the story of a girl living in a solitary house by the sea after a disaster has hit. PIGTAILS, by now an award-winning picture itself, is the directorial debut of MISS HOKUSAI’s chief animator Yoshimi ITAZU and deals with the Fukushima disaster in a way that is as touching as it is unsettling.