Nagasaki: Memories of My Son
- Saturday, May 28, 12:00 Mousonturm Saal
Haha to kuraseba
- Japan 2015, Blu-ray, 130 min, Japanese with English subtitles, released to age 12 or older
- Director: Yoji YAMADA
- Script: Yoji YAMADA, Emiko HIRAMATSU
- Production: “Nagasaki: Memories of My Son” Film Partners
- Camera: Masashi CHIKAMORI World sales: Shochiku
- Cast: Sayuri YOSHINAGA, Kazunari NINOMIYA, Haru KUROKI, Tadanobu ASANO, Kenichi KATO
- International premiere
- Competition Nippon Cinema Award
During the atomic bombing of Nagasaki, Nobuko’s son Koji dies. Previously, Nobuko had already lost another son and her husband. Three years later, she lives alone as a midwife and talks to the ghost of her dead son about her painful past. The emotionally powerful melodrama by master director Yoji YAMADA might be the saddest, yet also most hopeful film of this year’s festival.
Yoji YAMADA, born in Toyonaka (Osaka Prefecture) in 1931, directed more than 80 films over the course of 50 years. In Japan he is best known for the TORA SAN film series. Abroad, he gained wider recognition with his Samurai movie trilogy (2002 2006). In 2010, he was honored for his achievements with the Berlinale Camera.
1969 Tora San, Our Lovable Tramp (Otoko wa tsurai yo); 2002 The Twilight Samurai (Tasogare Seibei / NC ’09); 2006 Love and Honor (Bushi no ichibun); 2012 Tokyo Family (Tokyo kazoku); 2014 The Little House (Chiisai ouchi); 2016 What a Wonderful Family! (Kazoku wa tsurai yo)